The Centre for Research in Education was established in 1992 and it was first approved by the Madurai Kamaraj University and later by Manonmaniam Sundaranar University. Now the centre is functioning under Tamilnadu Teachers Education University. So far 125 scholars have obtained their doctoral degrees through our centre. At present, 11 candidates are pursuing their Ph.D. programme and 01 candidates are awaiting for Viva-voce.
The library is the heart of our institution and well utilised by the student teachers and researchers. Library has two floors with an area of 5942sq.ft and seating capacity for about 250 readers. At present the library houses a collection of above 22,809 books, 1,556 book bank books, 893 M.Ed. dissertations, 887 back volumes of journals, 275 CD’s and 15 years question bank. The library subscribes 4 International and 36 National journals from reputed institutions. The library also subscribes 18 magazines and 3 daily news papers. Library is fully computerized through Rovan Technologies of Library Management System and students can search the resources through computer based catalogue [Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC)]. Students can search the books from outside the library through KOHA Web-OPAC. There is a separate digital library section with DSPACE Digital Library Software. It has 4 Kindle e-readers, 1,64,309 e-books and for about 6,150 online journals subscribed through UGC N-List consortium. The library resources exploration happens at an
average of 75 students every day.
There is a full time Physical Director. In addition to theoretical lectures and demonstrations, participation in sports and games is made compulsory.
The Art and Craft Instructor prepares the students for Socially Useful Productive Work Programmes.
Subject clubs are organised for enrichment of knowledge and development of talents. Health Club, Fine Art Club, Consumer Club and Red Ribbon Club are the different clubs which are functioning effectively in our college.
Opportunities are provided for the development of hidden talents of the students throughout the year.
In addition to the regular academic programmes, Seminars and Workshops are also organised, inviting experts from different fields.
A course on self-awareness will be conducted; Attendance for this course is obligatory for all.
Every year, our staff and the students in collaboration with alumni association, organize either a science exhibition or social camp or Medical camp in a selected rural area around Palayamkottai.It is a service to the rural people by our college. It also motivates our students towards a broad national outlook. Also important national days are celebrated to develop national values.
JCERT was started on 8th October 1999. Having its roots at SXCE, it aims at promoting teacher development in schools and colleges, by offering training programmes and undertaking projects in selected areas. It has been reaching out to about 600 school teachers through workshops and seminars.
Alumni Association is another supportive pillar of the college and link between the former students and the Alma mater. The students are registered as the members of the association, when they complete the courses. The members are encouraged, through this association, to live and spread the Jesuit values and to cooperate with various activities of the college. A lot of outreach programmes and common celebrations are organized. Apart from the general body meeting, periodical meetings are held as and when the situation arises to participate in the development of the college. Current students are also involved in the activities of the association. Our Alumni website is www.sxcealumni.sxcedn.edu.in
This programme aims at developing an integrated personality with positive thinking and creativity of the individuals and making them aware of the their own potentials. It prepares them to lead a fruitful and successful life in a pluri-cultural, multi-religious and competitive society.
Our Computer Centre has 44 computers with latest configuration. The B.Ed. Students are given training in using Computer Software’s. The centre offers a course on Computer Applications which comprises 40 hours theory and 100 hours practical’s. The practical’s are arranged outside the class hours. The students are given opportunity to use the computers during holidays. The centre also offers training to prepare CAI Package. Internet Browsing Facility is available for all the students.
Our College offers guidance and councelling, career motivation and information regarding various courses related to employment. Details of the employment opportunities are provided. The placement service is given to the students. Campus interview is organized every year in our campus. Reputed institutions look for our students.
The college has a well maintained Hostel which creates congenial atmosphere for academic, spiritual and physical growth. The Hostel accommodates both B.Ed. and M.Ed. students (men & women separately).
Director: Rev. Fr. Baskar, S.J.
St. Xavier’s College of Education, being a community of prospective teachers, the staff and management, tending towards a common goal, life in the campus must be inspired by unity, mutual trust and cooperation among these partners. The following general code of conduct should be observed.
1. Every student should conform to the rules and regulations relating to attendance, library, college-fees, examinations tests, etc.
2. Students are forbidden to smoke in the college / hostel premises, to write or make any marks on the walls or to throw paper or ink on the floor of the class rooms or the verandas.
3. Students are not allowed to stand or walk along the verandas of the college, during class hours.
4. Strict silence must be observed during class hours in the classrooms.
5. Students are expected to be true gentle men and women, by being courteous to all, especially to their professors and elders.
6. When a teacher educator or any other member of the staff enters a class, the students must stand up and not sit down until he/she invites them to do so or he/she himself/herself takes the seat. They should likewise stand up when he/she leaves the class.
7. Mobile Phones are prohibited inside the classes and in the campus.
8. No student should leave the classroom during a lecture without permission of the teacher educator. Similarly no student should call out any student from the class without permission from the teacher educator.
9. Any difference that may arise among the students, staff and management should be resolved by peaceful methods. Requests, petitions, appeals and complaints of any kind must be made to the staff concerned and never directly to higher authorities.
10. College property and furniture should be handled with care and anyone who damages them will be held liable to pay for the damage caused. Stealing of college property or belongings of others constitutes a serious offence and immediate sanction will be imposed. Lights and fans in the classroom must be switched off when there is no lecture in that class.
11. Students will not be permitted to take away any broken apparatus from the college.
12. Staff and Students should park their Cycles, Scooters, etc. in the respective Cycle Stands and not anywhere else in the Campus.
13. Any organized form of social or cultural celebrations or activities by students either inside the campus or outside should be done only with the explicit permission of the Principal and under the guidance of the staff.
14. Students should attend meetings as per instructions; Decency and discipline should be maintained in meetings and celebrations.